Save the environment with refills that allow you to use your pen again and again! These simple steps of refilling ink cartridges work for almost all the multi pens and pens that JetPens carries. We'll show you how using the Pilot FriXion Ball 3 Metal 3 Color Gel Ink Multi Pen.
What you need: Refills that fit the multi pen you want to refill.
1. Simply unscrew the body of your multi pen.
2. Pull out the ink cartridge that you want to replace. Push in your new ink cartridge into the empty slot and screw the body back on.
Multi pens that contain pencil components usually refill in a different manner from single-unit mechanical pencils. Instead of removing the eraser to drop refill lead into the chamber like you would on a standard mechanical pencil, the lead for the mechanical pencil component in multi pen has to be refilled from the inside. This refilling method applies to the vast majority of multi pens models that include pencil components, like the Uni-ball Jetstream 4&1, Pilot Dr. Grip 4+1, and Zebra Clip-On Series pens.
Once you know the technique to refilling the lead in these multi pens, you’ll be able to refill almost any other brands or models. Simply follow the steps listed below.
HOW TO REFILL LEAD IN MULTI PENS
1. First, unscrew the body of your multi pen. Most multi pens (like the Uni-ball Jetstream 4&1 pictured) allow the entire grip section to twist off the barrel, exposing the components inside.
2. Next, pull off the end of the mechanical pencil section. More often than not, this is the actual piece that acts to dispense the lead, and can be easily removed from the lead storage tube with a firm tug.
3. While holding the multi pen body with the opening of the lead storage tube facing upwards, add more lead into the tube. Limit the amount of lead stored to 1-3 pieces only, in order to prevent lead stacking.
4. Once you have inserted your refill lead, close the storage tube by pressing the pencil mechanism back over the opening.
5. Reassemble your multi pen by screwing the barrel and grip pieces back together, and you’re good to go!
After your pen is back together, you can click the exposed pencil component a few times to get the lead flow started. Keep in mind that a lot of multi pens require you to press down the pen clip to expose the pencil first, and then you can continue to click down the clip to expose more lead.
You can find all of our multi pens here.